Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Some sacrifices just count more than others....

Today I ran into the Soldiers’ Angels support center to talk with the Executive Director (and one of my best friends) Toby. I had a quick question about a grant that I was working on, and needed to hog- tie him down before he started vacation. Toby is a busy guy, and he had his dad and daughter (who happened to be dressed in lederhosen—and no, I didn’t ask) with him in tow. I cornered him, threw the questions at him, and placed all the info he gave me into the “to be done ALMOST immediately pile” (translation: whatever night next week that I deemed myself “clean enough” and could forgo a shower). I was just about to head out for the day, and start the trek to school when I ran into an old friend Charles.

Now, I have written about Charles before, but for those who don’t remember, Charles is a musical genius who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time during a deployment to Afghanistan. He was blown up last year, forced to have reconstructive surgery on his knee, and hobbled into Soldier’s Angels last January where I started working with him in the Soldiers’ Angels music program, Operation Harmony. (And yes, for those who aren’t aware, I teach music too… ). It was obvious that Charles was WAY more skilled than the average Joe, and I swear he could charm the feathers off a songbird. Charles had a gift— and I was humbled by the opportunity to work with him. He eventually learned everything from me that I could offer, took over the music program once I had to step down due to grad school, and continues to work with other vets and our nation’s wounded to promote healing through music. What can I say… Charles is a rock star in every shape and form.

So, what’s the point of this blog? Yes, it was great running into an old friend (with the bonus information that my best friend dresses his daughter in lederhosen). Yes, Charles played for me a new song that he was working on, and it absolutely took my breath away. But what I wasn’t prepared for was the news…
My dear friend Charles is deploying back to Afghanistan this April.

To say that my heart sunk into my toes would be an understatement. I was pissed. I was heartbroken. And the fearful realization that this war is still causing pain to those I care about started creeping back into my soul. Charles is going back. Men and women all over this country are going back. The war is STILL going on. So what can we do? The answer is simple: Remember them. Respect them. Honor them. Care for them. And Charles, if you are reading this, I PROMISE to finish that song I have been working on… you have just provided me with all the inspiration that a girl could ever need.
(Stud.)

No comments:

Post a Comment